Thread: Starting the Melling Timing Components w/ intercooler clean

Threaded View

Name: edward

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    For the lower "crank sprocket" called out the crankshaft key-way alignment in correlation to the alignment dowel pin on the block, I used the alignment tool to be exact and turned out a coincidence it happened to point to the dowel pin, use the alignment tool, it comes out perfect.

Inkedtiming chain align lower _LI.jpg

For the cam sprockets, it was straight forward and the colored links just need to line up straddling the alignment mark on the sprocket for both sides.

Inkedchain alignment pass side _LI.jpg

Inkedchain alignment driver side _LI.jpg

here it is complete, nice and clean, parts and all.
    once the chains are installed, the cam locks can be removed..

chain alignment complete .jpg

Good morning everyone, hope all is well, getting back after it first let me say this job was an eye opener, it took a lot of time due to parts, time available and not to mention weather. For all you guys that work outside, I would suggest a cool-A-roo. Setting up one of these is perfect, better than a blue tarp. Looks like the set up I had going but not as nice, I didn't have it set up at the time so it wasn't put to use, it wasn't as bad at the time of front cover install but its definitely bad outside now.

cool a roo.jpg

Here is the front cover installed, the call out was for @Priobe explaining how the solenoid area had to be disassembled to disconnect the connectors behind the bracket to remove the valve cover for that side.
    I've seen the battery relocation to the bed modification and looking towards doing it myself but not till later. If anyone has thought of moving this somewhere else for both battery and solenoid for a HD it might not be a bad idea, just a thought, it would definitely allow for easy access of components in the engine bay and not to mention clean it up a bit. I might consider it when I do my windshield washer reservoir mod.

front install.jpg

Ok, here is the install for the Gates green stripe serpentine belts for both accessory and upper blower. The Green stripes, I think are they best thing for this, some call out the Gators backs and many others but I have not had any slip as of yet since the repair and this is my first time changing the accessory serpentine since having the truck since 2012 but that might change as belts wear in. Recommend taking your old ones and matching it up at time of order and then again when you pick them up.
    Looking at this picture I do need a throttle cable replacement and I replaced the thermostat with a 170deg..

front install 2 .jpg

Ok, moving right along with installing everything back the way it was I did mention I was going to remove the insulation that was torn making the engine bay look JANKY.
    Although some might disagree to replace it so the firewall is protected but I think it will be fine unless a problem starts up. It did however help with identifying some of the vacuum short comings that run behind the elbow in between the firewall. It was just too chewed up to leave in place.

front install 3.jpg

I did however mocked up the elbow to sit on top while I connect everything else, had to keep working while the gasket took its time arriving. Note the PCV tubing that would normally have a foam liner around it, runs into the bottom of the intake tube. The foam tube liner was just FUBAR so I just removed it. it might effect temps but not sure as of yet. The vacuum lines and PCV hoses and tubes was just a nightmare. Mixing and matching rubber elbows getting them to fit correctly. I just needed it to work while I trouble shoot the rest of the engine at start up.

front install 4.jpg

I went ahead and got the MAHLE gasket from ORiley's, one thing in particular about this gasket was its metal that is incased with gasket material. The one Stieg's had gave me when it was modded was just a plain normal gasket that was port matched. This one was a small task to port match due to the metal insert but my Dremel did a good job with right attachment.

elbow gasket.jpg
    Last edited by califabricator; 05-10-2020 at 01:35 PM.