Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Starting the Melling Timing Components w/ intercooler clean

Name: edward

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Since I’m waiting for parts to arrive, I decided to start painting some of the tidbits around the front cover black high temp ceramic paint. I took the balancer to my motor pool work shop to use the parts cleaner and after a wire brushing and paint it did come out nice. Can’t wait for parts to arrive

21A22367-CC35-422C-B5B8-8FE7E5E4146A.jpeg

BD6E81C6-6C0E-47B3-AC12-271F5536CE20.jpg

23BCA2F3-3C4B-4087-81FC-B2B58135FBAF.jpeg

029A391D-83A7-4345-871B-EF7BCFD8E2C0.jpeg

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Well I’m back at it for a bit. Due to the wuhan amazon didn’t ship my Melling m176HV oil pump, I canceled it and ordered it thru northern auto parts out of Iowa. I ordered my Gates green belts from Oriely’s and now I’m waiting on my front cover gaskets from the dealer.
    While I have been waiting I bought a snap on 3/8 air ratchet and wire brushed the pulley bridge to a bright aluminum finish. It’s not all that but turned out better than what it was.
    Still have some questions about the M176 HV and potentially being too much volume or pressure. I understand it shipped with an extra spring to lower the psi. But I’m kinda of thinking I want a good amount of oil pressure circulating.

C4C77277-A476-4E76-B625-D0D61B708BE0.jpeg

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Recommend to order all parts to have on hand when doing this work.
    And I’m thinking of getting the parts washer from harbor freight and use a few gallons of chem-dip with the parts washer for the intercooler clean.
    Last edited by califabricator; 03-26-2020 at 07:52 AM.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    After taking on a few more bits to freshen them up, cleaned and potentially painted, I started to take off the upper plenum/elbow and to my surprise there was crank case oil in my intake track. I suspected there was oil being sucked into the intake track due to my L&S being so old. I have tried to clean it from time to time using carb cleaner but having the oil separator since 2012 when I got it and up through 2020 till now, I'm sure its met its life cycle. You'll see in the pics later. Another problem I've encountered is ordering parts for my supercharger and intake. Dealer had said they were discontinued. Now that might different in other parts of the U.S. but not here.
    So I had to go above and beyond to order the correct parts but can understand the confusion and why people turn to threads and forums for info. For example, my spark plugs, as you will see as I lean forward..

Dudes at the box stores set me back weeks, no worries.
    Last edited by califabricator; 04-09-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    If you look closely you can see where the gasket has become saturated, this is the very gasket that a local store ordered it incorrectly. I seen them listed on E-bay but sell as a set from the throttle body to the elbow for 18.00. If they would sell a gasket made of different material, now that would be ideal. A good example with be the same material similar to the gasket that is used below the air charger, maybe of metal. not like the one used for the IC heat exchanger made of composite type.
    Last edited by califabricator; 04-09-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    the insulation that's on the fire wall is looking kind of beat up and thinking of removing it ..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    here is the elbow removed, if you can see closely there is sludge or crud build up around the corner where oil has been seeping..

1 elbow r.jpg

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Here is my Intercooler HX, I had posted I was going to acquire a parts washer from HF but opted out for a Blue Lowes bucket instead, I also got three-1 gallon cans of Chem-Dip for dunking.
    I let it soak for 45-60 min each end and it did the trick. washed with water inside the inlet and outlet with a blast of compressed air.
    It did the trick.

Dude was going to charge me 85.00 at the radiator shop, asked him if he got that CD, when he asked what CD?
    Told him to "See these MTHA F'n Nuts" and walked out..lol

Seriously thinking of removing the insulation from the fire wall , looks like PooH

IC Hx .jpg

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Enclosed is my Charger upside down, it was pretty dirty but was mainly oil and was able to wipe clean with a shot of break clean on a rag, later you can see the video through out the rotation of the rotors.
    It wasn't bad as it looks but it did take some time to clean.

Charger roto.jpg

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Here it is all cleaned up..
    when I personally took it to Stiegemeier in ST Louis, I did the snake bite at the time where it was ported and re-built bearings and stripped of that Teflon coating, I opted out on the re-coating due to my HX getting clogged.
    Not sure why I didn't plug the holes at the time but I'm sure there will be another time I can make this happen, if I don't do it myself.
    I've seen the JB weld mod but its too easy to have someone TIG weld them shut.

Charger Roto Cleaned .jpg

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    here is the video of rotors turning

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Initially I was going to remove the intake, clean and paint it as well but the gasket issues and timing with work was not conducive. Maybe next time.

elbow gasket 1.jpg

elbow gasket 2.jpg

turkey pan .jpg

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    After cleaning the turkey pan and while waiting for the IC HX being dunked in the Chem-Dip for about an hour each side, I took the time to clean off everything else.
    For the injectors, I cleaned them with a shot of carb cleaner and held them down with a modified motion pro fuel injector tool. I also went to South West injection for the injector parts and replaced them as well, if you look closely the injector filters were discolored and could use a change. The damage to the filters was done from me pulling them out with a screw.
    When I pulled out the spark plugs they seemed alright but now I'm beginning to think they were wrong plugs and probably gapped incorrectly given the info I had received at the time, might of been when I cleaned it the first time back in 2013 or so.
    The auto parts store had matched the ones I had pulled out of the engine this time and gave me the NGKs but probably not the ones I needed so I returned them and got ones that were called out in the factory service manual.

spark plugs .jpg

injector parts .jpg

injectors and clean tool .jpg

injector filters .jpg

injectors and trash .jpg

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    here it is all assembled together minus the COPs and the spark plugs, had to back and research the type and the gap.

ic all cleaned up .jpg

turkey pan cleaned up .jpg

all assembled 1.jpg

all asembled 2.jpg
    When installing the refurbished injectors they did go in rather nice and pretty snug. Should be able to hold better under pressure.

Also had to look at why I shouldn't buy the MSD Blaster COPs. After looking at some threads on Lightning Rodder and on here I decided to check the ones I have.
    I did find a broken COP so I checked it and epoxy'd it to cover the bare metal and re-checked.
    I did however liked the MSD Blaster Cops but as I was reading the stockers were just fine so I decided to just paint them.

wrong plugs .jpg

spark plug specs .jpg

warped boots .jpg

broken cop .jpg

blue cops .jpg

right plugs .jpg

Now to find the standard on how to gap these according to how much boost one has.
    I have to measure the upper pulley and see for sure. That's the one I got from the Snake Bite mod.
    Last edited by califabricator; 05-11-2020 at 06:44 AM.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Ok, here it is, I wasn't planning on really blowing this up again since there's plenty of threads out on here that might be causing some confusion for someone.
    I had to post what I actually have since I wasn't too sure. After looking up a few different threads thought to snip a few to this thread.
    Basically I'm just looking to gap my spark plugs correctly and potentially hit a tuner near El Paso or Albuquerque area once I'm ready

AGSF.jpg

So I'm going to gap them at .044 and use that as a base. if I have to pull them out and re-gap then so be it. I'm aiming to have the stock lightning type set up. since I have a 2.7 type pully on the snout.

Spark plug gap.jpg

I'm roughly coming in at 2.73 at the widest part of the upper pulley leaving it for the outside of the serpentine belt running around the pulley. Now that I'm sure of what I actually have I can move on. I'll attach two more snips of how I came up with my application.

upper p.jpg

pulley size thread .jpg

thread 2 .jpg

I think that's it for now, I'm off to gap spark plugs, install them and set up for the front timing cover removal. I still have to order the elbow gasket from eBay and I still have to order another oil separator (not sure which).

However I am thinking of reaching out to a few folks in helping me modify these temprite oil separators into something better. Someone on here had said they were the same deal. who knows..
    If he still has them I'll have to check it out

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Temprite-Oi...EAAOSwuMNeBU8L
    Last edited by califabricator; 04-10-2020 at 11:02 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast