Thread: ideal temperature

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ideal temperature

Hey ,great site guys!! I just registered and i was hoping some one could answer a question. does the super charger perform best in warmer weather or colder ? i read somewhere that the fuel mix becomes leaner at colder temperatures,and that can cause detonation wich of course is bad. what is the ideal temperature range for the best performance? I just got the truck in september so i havent been able to see when it performs best. what do you guys think.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There are guys a lot smarter than me to answer this, but, Colder air equals more power and faster times. Detonation will not be a problem STOCK. If you're modded then it becomes a problem. I have a Superchip flip chip. With a performance side and a street/towing side. (can't tell any difference) I keep it on the street side when below 80-85 degrees.

Indestructible!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have found that if you are stock, I think the best temp is in the low 60's. This summer I noticed that the truck really launched when it was 62 degrees.:p

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Generally it's a little cooler temps it will run better but it depends on so many other parameters....like altitude, octane rating, etc. Ken 800 will probably be along here shortly to give you a more technical answer. He's the "formula" guy. Has the formula for figuring it all out. Josh (Harley 356) is the site guru. Anyway, welcome to the site....you'll be hooked after your third visit. Be sure to join the club, too.
    NHTOC #4

Maximus Horsepowerus
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lol...

Barometric pressure is key. Humidity is key. Temperature is key. Dry, cold, high pressure air is simply more dense and therefore carries more oxygen in any given measurement of air and therefore provides more combustion "oomph" than at higher temps.

The racers say that 10 degrees is worth 1% horsepower difference. So, figure 50 degrees vs. 90 degrees. Given all the other variables are the same, that could be as much as 4% (times 340 stock) or 13.6 additional horsepower.

This is why the stock airbox pulls air from OUTSIDE the engine compartment rather than inside.

This is also why I went with the JL ram air box in an attempt to get more outside air into the big cone filter under the hood.

What I really want is a sealed plastic box (less heat conduction) with a big cone inside and a couple of large tubes venting to the outside. Volant was supposed to have this miracle in their latest offering, but it falls short.

Ken